How it started (1962)
- Following the charter of the City of Adelaide Lions Club. A small group was formed to investigate the formation of additional clubs in Adelaide. Lion Erik Sandalin-McCann arranged for the first group of 26 to meet at Edwardstown. Hoping that Australian Secretary Jim McLardie would form the club at the first meeting, Erik was told that this could not be the case as all of the people assembled were all from a Masonic Lodge. Jim said he would not form the club and induct them, as it was essential that all sections of the community are represented in the clubs when they are first being established in the area. Erik was invited to expand the group so the new club could be formed. Not to be deterred Erik found additional interested people in the area and the club was formed two weeks later on April 11, 1962, with 22 members. District Governor William R Tresise MBE,the founder of Lionism in Australia presented the charter on November 17, 1962, at the Castle Hotel, South Road, Edwardstown.
- The club was chartered with 32 members. The Charter President was Doug Darky Miller, Charter Secretary was Ron Miels and the Charter Night Chairman was Doug Omond.
- Over the years the club has sponsored five clubs. Four District Governors have come from the members plus numerous District Officers, serving both the Multiple District and their own District. The club has hosted both a Multiple District and District Conventions.
- The club bannerette in the colours of purple and gold shows a section of the Castle Hotel, which many years ago was demolished to make way for a shopping centre named Castle Plaza, taking its name from the hotel. Club meetings were held at that hotel for eight years, since then the meetings have been held at the Marion Hotel, Marion Club and currently at the Tonsley Hotel.
- Lions is a community service organisation with over 1.3 million men and women in countries all over the world. People join Lions because they want to put back something into the community they live in.
- Lions clubs are identified by our distinctive logo - we've all seen this logo on signs when Lions hold an event and Lions members proudly wear this logo on their shirts and caps.
- Have a look at our website and see what we do. If this is what you are looking for come and join us. You are most welcome! We are an active club which holds numerous events during the year. We are also looking at some new projects, which will assist the community.
- Club meetings
1st Wednesday of the month - business meeting 34 Dunorlan Rd Edwardstown. Meeting starts at 7pm and is followed by a light supper.
3rd Wednesday of the month - social meeting at the Tonsley Hotel, South Road, Clovelly Park. 6.00 for 6.30pm with a Speaker or special event.